Monday, July 15, 2024

Blow Up Dice No Prop or Prep Primary Song Review Activity

 INTRODUCTION:

I love simple activities that I can just grab-and-go, especially when life seems extra hectic.  My favorite grab-and-go activity is the Silly Signs.  If you do not know what I am talking about, then look at my blog post here.  The Silly Signs do take much more prep than this activity, even though the prep is worth it.  You can have the signs forever and even add on to the Silly Signs when you have ideas.  The dice Singing Activity is so simple and takes a ton less prep than the Silly Signs!


SUPPLIES NEEDED:

1.  I ordered two of these blowup dice from Amazon:


2.  I created visuals and then printed them out on cardstock for the No-Prep/No Prop singing activities.  I got the singing activity ideas from  here on camillesprimaryideas.com.  Here are two samples of the activity visuals:


VISUAL PDF'S:

Here are the PDF's that you can print.                  
Move your mouse in the left right hand corner and you will see a little arrow inside a small box.  Click on it to open the PDF's.                     🠟

After I printed the pictures I had to trim them so they would fit in the dice plastic inserts.  I think I cut them to be 8"x8".  Maybe a little smaller.  I cut one of them the size it should be and then used that to measure all of the other papers.

**There are 12 inserts on the dice and only 9 No Prep/Prop activities on Camille's website that I used.  I made a sign for "Body Rhythm" and I put one "Silly Sign" on each of the dice.  The kids love the silly signs.  In fact some of the children just wanted to do the Silly Signs.  If you do not have Silly Signs, then you can make your own sign for the remaining two plastic inserts on the dice.  You could have a sign that says "your choice" or "teachers sing" or any other idea you come up with. 

HOW TO USE:

There are two different ways I have used the Silly Signs and the Dice Signs.

1.  You can use the dice to review one song.  This way every time you sing the same song there is a different activity to go along with the song so the children do not get bored singing the same song over and over.

2.  You can use the dice to review multiple songs.  This way you would choose out of the songs you are teaching for the program and have someone role the dice to see which activity to do while singing the song chosen.  It is a great way to review the songs for the program.

DESCRIPTION OF EACH ACTIVITY:

I don't know about you, but my mind goes blank sometimes when I am up in front of the children.  I made a Word document with the description of each activity.  I had it sitting on the little table in front of the primary room so that I could easily reach for it and read the description.  Don't read it out loud.  I learned the hard way that there are some activities where the children have to guess the song or the word.  Also, for the Body Rhythm activity, I just asked four children to come up.  I gave each child a rhythm (snap fingers, clap, pat lap, stomp foot).  Then when I touched a child's head the child would do the rhythm assigned to him/her.  Then I would put my hand on the next child's head and that child would do the rhythm assigned to him/her, and so on.  Here are the activity descriptions (rules/definitions):

Silent Singer:

A child is called out into the hallway. The Primary chooses another child to be the silent singer.  They are to only mouth the words but make no sound (in essence, pretending to sing). The child in the hallway is called back in and must figure out who is the silent singer.

 

Body Pitch Leading:

As you sing a song, have the children stand and move their bodies up or down relating to how the notes move in the song.  If the notes move up, the bodies move up and as the notes move down, bodies move down.

 

Endure to the End:

Children hold up their arms (like a “T”) as they sing.  The last child to put their arms down is the winner.  It doesn’t get any easier than that!

 

Charades:

Pick keywords, phrases or song titles to have the children act out.  Once guessed, sing the song!  If guessing words, a fun variation is to omit that word (or sing it loudly) when singing the song.

 

Lights Off:

Sing when the lights are on and listen (don’t sing) when the lights are off as the piano continues playing.  Choose good singers to switch the lights on and off as the rest of the children sing. 

 

Duck, Duck, Sing!:

Put chairs in a circle or sit on the floor in a circle. A child walks around the room tapping heads. The pianist plays the song and stops randomly. The person who was tapped on the head last has to say what the next word or line of the song is. If they get it correctly, they get to be the next one to go around the room.

 

Jack in the Box:

All the kids are in a pretend box. Think of a word in your song (preferably one that repeats a lot) and don’t share it.  When the secret word is sung, give two thumbs up to the kids. The kids jump up when they see your thumbs. At the end of the song, the kids have to tell you what your secret word was.

 

Who’s Missing:

Send a child into the hall and pick 2-4 kids to hide together behind the piano (or bring a blanket or sheet). The child from the hall returns and has until the end of song to figure out who is missing from their seat.

 

Freeze Tag:

The pianist stops randomly and the kids freeze.  Choose a child.  The child must complete the phrase by saying it correctly in order to unfreeze the Primary.  If incorrect, the Primary must remain frozen for the remainder of the song.  If correct, the Primary unfreezes and continues on with a new child and phrase to freeze

No comments:

Post a Comment

Passing Off Songs For The Primary Program 2024

I am so proud of myself for learning how to make a QR code! I am not the most technology savvy. Thank goodness for YouTube tutorials! I t...