Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Reverse Caroling


Two Sundays ago the primary did reverse caroling.  I did not come up with this idea on my own.  I saw it on a blog.  I tried to find the blog post to post it here, but I can't find it.  If I find it then I will come back and share the link.  

I needed a quick, fun activity to teach a simple song for Christmas.  My ward's primary program was very late in the year.  I was asked to have the children sing a Christmas song for Christmas Sunday.  That gave me two weeks to teach a song.  I chose to teach a very simple song from the Primary Children's Songbook.  This activity is good for any Christmas song review.

The children learned the song and then the activity began.

I said, "Raise your hand if you have gone Christmas Caroling."  The children raised their hands who had gone Christmas caroling.  Then I asked, "Who has gone reverse caroling?"  Of course none of the kids raised their hands.  I told them that someone who has been reverent will be asked to go out in the hall and find someone to come to the primary room to hear us sing our Christmas carol.  I asked the teacher of a class to pick a child that had been reverent.  The child went out to the hall (with a presidency member) and brought someone back to the primary room.  As soon as the person came through the door we started singing.  The presidency member instructed them to go to the front of the room.

I had gone to the dollar store to buy candles.  I took the stickers off the candle and tied a ribbon around it and a candy cane.  I handed the visitor the candle and candy cane and told them how the primary wishes them a merry and bright Christmas.  Then I went to the next class's teachers and asked for then to pick a child that had been reverent, and so on.  

I could see the visitor's countenance change as the children sang.  Each visitor had a big smile on his/her face.  I pointed out to the children how they are sharing the gift of  Christ and bringing the spirit of Christmas into other's hearts.  I pointed out that it does not take money to give a gift to someone.  The spirit of Christ is the best gift we can give to someone during the Christmas season.

I forgot to take pictures.  It was a simple and enjoyable activity!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus (or the Holy Ghost) Can Be Your Shadow

This has always been one of my favorite activities/lessons in primary.  It is visual so the children get the concept easily about Christ and...